WIP Moderator Instructions
5-Minute Postcard Sessions for “Work-In-Progress” (WIP) Papers.
Instructions for Moderators
As promised, FIE will use a non-traditional format for WIP papers. Authors will be able to take advantage of the format to gather feedback and ideas for their current projects. In order for these sessions to be successful, moderators need to play a key role in managing the session.
The session will have 2 distinct components
PART 1: 5-minute “postcard” presentations by 10 presenters.
Presenters will have 5 minutes total to introduce themselves and overview their work using the 2-slide postcard presentation slide template provided. These presentations will be uploaded in EDAS. During the 5-minute presentation there are no questions or answers (Q&As). All Q&A will be during the poster display time.
PART 2: Poster Session.
Presenters will display visuals/poster and answer questions of those who come talk with them.
Your responsibilities as a WIP Session Moderator
Before the Session
- Contact all authors in your session and remind them that they are responsible to send you their two postcard slides for their session by Wednesday September 30.
- Read over the papers in your session and decide on the best ordering of the presentations. You have access to the papers through your EDAS account. For example, if two papers are complimentary, perhaps those authors should be near each other in the room and should present close to one another.
- The master presentation of all the slides in your session will be sent to you on Friday, October 2. Please download it and save it to your files.
- The day before your session, send the Final PowerPoint slidedeck out to all authors so they know the slide order.
During the Session
- Arrive at the room early
- Decide where each author will put their “poster”
- Make sure the slide deck is loaded on the computer in the room
- Identify each author has arrived and verify their order in the presentation. There will be 10 presentations unless your WIP session is on Saturday. Saturday sessions will have 8 presentations
- Start on time.
- Welcome everyone to the session and explain the format.
- Let the 5-minute presentations occur, keeping authors to the schedule.
- Invite authors to go to their poster spaces.
- Invite attendees to go speak to authors. Let them know that you will remind them when there are 45 minutes left, 30 minutes left and 15 minutes left.
Thank you for your contribution to FIE 2020 as an WIP Session Moderator. Please provide feedback to the Program Committee and let us know if you think this format was useful.
For your information, the authors received the instructions here.
750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone + 46 (0) 18 67 10 03